This endive salad is super quick and easy to prepare. This classic French salad is fresh and full of flavors. Endive with apple and walnut make a delicious and healthy salad.
This French endive salad is one of my favorites! I love how easy and quick it is to prepare. I like to make it for lunch or dinner at home. But I also love to make it for work. I bring it in my lunch box coupled with some buckwheat crepes wraps.
Pretty much like any salad, you can either have it as a starter or a main dish.
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
- This endive salad takes 5 minutes to prepare
- It's super simple.
- This salad is a classic French dish.
📖 Ingredient notes
- Belgian endive (also called chicory). It is a small cylindrical head of lettuce with white and pale yellow/green leaves.
- Apple. I recommend using sweet apples like Fuji, Golden delicious, Gala, Honeycrisp...
- Walnuts. You can either crack the walnuts yourself or, if you are in a hurry, use packed walnut halves.
- Cheese. Personally, as I can't have cow dairy, I use Ossau-Iraty ( a french sheep cheese). But you can use Emmental, Gruyère, Cheddar or even Roquefort. Or you can omit completely.
Endive salad dressing ingredients
- Olive oil. Make sure to use extra virgin olive oil.
- Apple cider vinegar. You can also use red wine vinegar.
- Dijon mustard. This is an optional ingredient. Make sure to choose strong mustard for an additional French flavor.
For the complete list of ingredients and quantities for this endive salad recipe, please see the recipe below.
🔪Step by step instructions
How to cut endive for salad
Rince the endive under cold water, remove the tip that is kind of reddish.
Then slice the endive.
How to prepare other ingredients
Peel (or not, as you prefer) the half apple and cut it into pieces.
Crack the walnuts and cut them in small pieces.
Then cut the cheese into pieces also.
Put all the ingredients in a large bowl. In a glass, prepare the dressing by mixing the mustard, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper then pour it over the endive salad. Mix the salad to make sure it is well coated with dressing. Voilà! Serve immediately.
💬 Frequently Asked Questions
I don't recommend preparing this salad ahead of time. Well, a few hours ahead of time is OK but not the day before. The endive is rather delicate and the apple pieces will turn brown with oxydation. Of course, you can still eat the leftovers the next day, but your salad won't be as fresh.
Store your salad in the fridge, in an air-tight container.
🍲Other recipes you might like
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a review below! Tag @gohealthywithbea on Instagram and hashtag #gohealthywithbea! Also, let's stay connected on social media and continue to cook together! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
📋 Recipe / Recette
French Endive Apple Walnut Salad
- 1 Belgian endive
- ½ apple
- 1 handful of walnuts
- 1 piece of cheese (I use ossau-iraty, a sheep cheese from southwestern France, but you can use Emmental, Gruyère ou Roquefort or omit completely)
- Rince the endive under cold water, remove the tip that is kind of reddish and slice the endive.
- Peel the half apple and cut it into pieces. Crack the walnuts and cut them in small pieces then cut the cheese into cubes. Put all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a glass, prepare the dressing by mixing the mustard, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Then pour it over the endive salad. Mix the salad to make sure it is well coated with dressing. Voilà! Serve immediately.Bon appétit!