Try this easy, thick and delicious vegan rice pudding. It makes a perfectly creamy and heartwarming dessert or breakfast.
Rice pudding is often served as a dessert but I personnaly like to eat it for breakfast from time to time. Well, I think the trickiest meal when you have to go gluten, dairy and egg free is breakfast. So this recipe is one of the solutions that I have found.
Which non dairy milk should I use?
For this recipe, as I am not allergic to almonds and I love them, I often use almond milk. But you can use cashew, tigernut, soya (...) milk. Though if you want to make this with coconut milk, you might want to use light coconut milk or add some water to your regular canned coconut milk otherwise it will be very "heavy" on your stomach, due to the quantity of fat contained in coconuts. Or you can directly use coconut drink (the kind that comes in cardboard boxes).
How to store this pudding
Once your vegan rice pudding has cooled, store it in your fridge for up to 4 days. What I usually do is make a big batch, transfer into 1 serving pots and put them in the fridge.
Can I freeze it?
Yes. After making a big batch, I usually store half of it in the fridge and the other half in the freezer. After it has cooled down, I like to store it in the freezer into 1 serving pots. All I have to do is take it out of the freezer the night before to make sure that it is defrost in the morning.
Other recipes you might like
- Apple cinnamon muffins (Coconut free, AIP, paleo)
- Banana blueberry muffins (Coconut free, AIP, paleo)
- Coconut free Banana bread (AIP, paleo, vegan)
- Banana bread muffins (AIP, paleo, vegan)
- Pumpkin and spinach quiche (AIP, paleo, vegan)
- Spinach goat cheese tart (gluten free, vegetarian)
Vegan rice pudding (gluten free, lactose free)
- Pour the non dairy milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat then add the rice and vanilla and/or cinnamon. Let it cook on low heat while whisking regularly for about 20 to 30 minutes. Cooking time will defer according to the rice you use (check the packaging for informations) and the way you like your rice cooked. The more you cook it, the less you will keep milk as the rice will have absorbed it completely and the more compact it will get. Also keep in mind that the rice keeps cooking and absorbing the milk after you have turned off the heat.
- Add syrup once the rice is cooked (adjust quantity according to taste).
- Transfer the rice pudding into a bowl. Let it cool down and voilà!You can serve lukewarm or cold.Bon appétit !