These gluten free au gratin potatoes are deliciously creamy and cheesy! This classic side dish is easy to make and simple.
Jump To / Aller directement à
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
These homemade potatoes au gratin are perfectly creamy thanks to the gluten free Bechamel sauce.
If you are not familiar with (gluten free) Bechamel sauce, it is a delicious white sauce that makes every gratin instantly creamy. I also use it to make Baked chicory with ham and cheese and Healthy vegetarian cauliflower casserole.
You will love them so much they will become one of your go-to comforting dishes.
These gluten free au gratin potatoes with Bechamel sauce are easy to make and kid friendly!
📖 Ingredient notes
- Potatoes. Your best choice for this recipe will be Yukon Gold potatoes, due to their tender flesh. Other good options would be Russets or Idaho potatoes.
- Bechamel sauce. It is a French white medium-thick sauce. It is usually made with butter and wheat flour. Although here, I'm using a gluten free Bechamel sauce. This sauce is used a lot in France to make all kinds of casseroles or, as we call them "gratin". This sauce makes it much easier for kids to eat vegetables.
- Grated cheese of your choice. This recipe is usually made with Gruyere cheese. But as I can't have cow dairy I'm using sheep cheese (a French cheese called Ossau-Iraty). You can also use cheddar, emmental or whatever you prefer.
For the quantities and complete list of ingredients for these gluten free au gratin potatoes, please see the recipe below.
🔪Step by step instructions
Peel the potatoes, rince them under cold water. And slice them as thinly and uniformly as possible. Then transfer them to a baking dish.
Peel and mince the garlic clove and add it to the Bechamel sauce.
Pour the Bechamel sauce over the potatoes. Be sure the potatoes are evenly coated.
Add grated cheese and mix everything.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and they have a nice golden color and voilà! Serve these scalloped potatoes warm. Bon appétit!
- Slicing. You can either use a sharp knife and cutting board to slice the potatoes, or use a mandolin slicer. Another option is slicing the potatoes with a food processor. The choice is yours but keep in mind that you have to slice the potatoes evenly and thinly.
- Herbs. If you want to make some variations of this recipe, you can add some fresh herbs. Thyme or rosemary are both excellent choices.
💬 Recipe FAQs
You can keep the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Well, technically you can make it the day before. But these gluten free au gratin potatoes will taste much better freshly made.
You can either re-warm in a pre-heated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 10 minutes or microwave it until hot.
🥗What to serve with it
You can serve these gluten free au gratin potatoes with some Chicken kabobs (AIP, paleo, whole30) or with roasted chicken, turkey or beef or with grilled steak.
🥘Other side dishes you might like
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 on the recipe card and leave a nice review below! Tag @gohealthywithbea on Instagram and hashtag #gohealthywithbea! Also, let's stay connected on social media and continue to cook together! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
📋 Recipe / Recette
Gluten free Au Gratin Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 410°F (210°C)
- Peel the potatoes, rince them under cold water and slice them very thin and transfer them to a baking dish.
- Peel and mince the garlic clove and add it to the Bechamel sauce
- Pour the Bechamel sauce over the potatoes. Add grated cheese, salt and peper to taste and mix everything.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and have a nice golden color and voilà! Serve warm. Bon appétit!