Discover French traditional hot chocolate. Nothing will comfort you and warm you up like this delicious paleo and vegan hot chocolate.
I wanted to share with you this traditional French hot chocolate recipe that I indulge in during the coldest days of winter. The French name of this recipe is "chocolat chaud à l'ancienne" (hot chocolate like in the old times).
Although I probably shouldn't say this, at the risk of crashing a beautiful cliché you might have had in mind that Parisians drink hot chocolate in cafés in Paris. Well I almost never drink hot chocolate when I'm in Paris.
My favorite time to drink this vegan hot chocolate is when I'm at my parents' house in the French countryside (the Bourbonnais region) during winter, after a nice, long walk in nature when it's really, really cold outside. I hurry to prepare this delicious and comforting hot chocolate and set myself next to the fireplace. Just thinking about this brings a huge smile on my face.
3 Ingredient vegan hot chocolate
What I really love about this recipe, is that once again, it is very simple and easy to make.
You just need three basic ingredients. And you might already have all them on hand.
For this recipe you will need:
- dark chocolate chips or bars
- cinnamon stick
- water. Yes, water! This is how "chocolat chaud à l'ancienne" is made by famous French chefs. And believe me, you won't notice that it's made with water instead of milk. It won't make it less rich and creamy. How? Because chocolate chips / bars contain cocoa butter.
A delicious paleo treat
Please don't forget that even though this recipe is a pretty healthy version of hot chocolate, it is still a treat!
Sorry to kill the mood but I think I should make this little reminder. If this blog offers a lot of dessert and treat recipes it is only because those dishes are the most difficult one to make when on a "free from" diet/protocol. But you should know that I don't eat a sweet muffin along with a hot chocolate every day. You have to find your own balance between indulging from time to time and being too strict with yourself. I do believe that if we never indulge and create a frustration it will cause stress and, consequently, inflammation.
Other beverage recipes
- Mulled wine (with or without alcohol)
- Vegan Golden milk (dairy free, paleo)
- Zucchini and apple juice
- Beetroot and carrot juice
French hot chocolate (vegan, paleo)
- Pinch of coconut sugar (or muscovado) according to taste and depending on how dark the chocolate you're using is.
- Put the chocolate, cinnamon stick and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Let it cook while stiring regularly until the chocolate is completely melted and your beverage is hot.
- Fish the cinnamon stick out of the saucepan. Taste the hot chocolate and, if necessary, add the optionnal coconut or muscovado sugar and serve in 2 mugs.Voilà!Bon appétit!