These dairy free mashed potatoes are perfectly rich and easy to make. Thanks to the olive oil and black olives, this classic side dish has a great Mediterranean flavor.
This recipe makes the best side dish with a Mediterranean twist for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter or any other holiday. It also pairs very well with a grilled bavette steak served with Shallot steak sauce (dairy free, paleo, whole30, AIP)
- potatoes. The type of potatoes you use is very important. It makes the biggest difference when making this dish. So make sure to choose potatoes that are good for mashed potatoes (like Yucon Golds or Russets).
- extra virgin olive oil
- pitted cured black olives (these olives have a strong and salty taste that contrasts very well with potatoes)
- sea salt
How to make these dairy free mashed potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and give them a rince under cold water to make sure you're removing all the dirt. Then cut them in quarters.
- Put them in a saucepan and cover with cold water and a pinch of salt. Start cooking potatoes in cold water ensures that they cook evenly.
- Cook the potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes according to the size of the potatoes. Prick them with a knife to test if they are cooked: they should be tender. If not, cook them a little longer. Other option: if you prefer, you can cook them in a steamer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them. Then transfer them to a large bowl and mash them with a fork. Finally, add olive oil and olives cut into pieces.
- Taste. Then season with sea salt to taste. And voilà! Your dairy free mashed potatoes are ready. Serve warm. Bon appétit!