This pear and carob tart is a coconut free AIP version of my pear and chocolate tart recipe. Pear and chocolate tart is another French classic dessert.
For the crust
- Tigernut flour : if you have never heard of tigernut flour and are wondering what it is, you will find all your questions answered in this post.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- ripe pears
- carob powder
- arrowroot : If you are not cassava intolerant, you can use tapioca flour instead of arrowroot. Both are AIP compliant. If you are not on the AIP diet you can use potato or corn starch instead of arrowroot.
- maple syrup
How to make this pear and carob tart
Start by preparing the crust. For this, mix together all the dry ingredients (tigernut flour, arrowroot, cinnamon and salt) in a large bowl. Then add the olive oil, water and maple syrup and mix until well combined. It should quickly form a dough.
Roll out the dough between 2 parchment papers, using a rolling pin. Remove the top parchment paper and transfer the dough to a 27cm/10.6in diameter pie tin on the other parchment paper and press the dough in the tin.
Prick the pie crust with a fork to prevent it from inflating and put it for 10 minutes in the oven to precook it.
In the meantime, put the carob powder and arrowroot in a saucepan and mix them together. Start whisking with a manual whip while slowly adding the hot water while still whisking. Add the optional maple syrup then turn on the stove on medium low heat and let the mix cook while whisking regularly until it thickens (about 5 to 10 minutes).
Cut the pears in half, peel them and remove the seeds and core by digging in the pear flesh with a knife.
Spread the carob evenly over the precooked pie crust. Add the pears on top of the carob. Optional: you can cut the pears crosswise to make them more beautiful.
Put the pie in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until it gets a nice golden color. And voilà! Let it cool and serve. Bon appétit!
Other carob recipes you might like
- Carob zucchini bread (Coconut free, AIP, paleo)
- Tapioca pudding (Coconut free, AIP, paleo)
- Heart Shaped Chocolate Cakes (AIP, paleo)
Or if you want to try another tart/pie recipe (without carob) you can check my French apple pie (Coconut free, AIP, paleo, vegan) recipe.