Easy homemade from scratch tapioca pudding!
What is tapioca made out of ?
Please note that tapioca is made out of cassava which is a long tuberous starchy root. Unfortunately, many people are intolerant to cassava. So if you are intolerant to cassava, you might not tolerate tapioca. Although I have heard that some people can't tolerate cassava flour but are ok with tapioca.
Ingredients for this pudding
- tapioca pearls or tapioca granules : tapioca pearls are like tiny white pearls. In France, they are harder to find than tapioca granules. Tapioca granules are not as beautiful as tapioca pearls when they are dry. They are more like coarse salt. Surprisingly, tapioca granules form little pearls once they hydrated. So in the end you can use either one of them and you will get the same result.
- tigernut milk or water. If you can tolerate coconut, you can use half coconut milk, half water. Why half water and half coconut milk? Because coconut milk is high fat. Which can be a bit "heavy" on the stomach and consequently can make you feel a little nauseous if you eat too much of it. Other possible substitution, only if you are not following AIP: almond milk or any other kind of non dairy milk.
- carob powder. Of course, if you are not on the Auto-Immune Protocol (AIP) and can't find carob or don't like it, you can replace with cacao powder.
- vanilla extract
- optional: maple syrup
How to make it
- Pour the tigernut milk or water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. If you use water, as you won’t get the nutty flavor of the tigernut milk, you can compensate this by adding a little bit more of vanilla, cinnamon or carob.
- Toss in the tapioca and stir continuously with a spoon.
- Add in the carob powder, vanilla extract and maple syrup.
- Let it cook on medium heat while stirring continuously until you get a pudding like consistency (about 10 minutes). As the pudding continues to thicken while it cools down, turn off the heat when the pudding is still quite liquid. Adjust the cooking time according to the consistency you like for your pudding.
- Transfer this tapioca pudding to a bowl and voilà! Let it cool off before serving. Bon appétit!