In this beginner's guide, you will discover what is aquafaba and learn everything you need to know about it. From how to make homemade aquafaba to how to store it and whether or not you can freeze it.
What is aquafaba ?
Aquafaba is the name given to chickpea water. It has a yellowish color, as you can see on the picture below.
If you buy canned chickpeas, aquafaba is the liquid in the chickpea can or jar.
On the other hand, if you buy dry chickpeas and cook them yourself, in this case, the aquafaba is the water in which you cook the chickpeas.
Warning : do not confuse the water the chickpeas are cooked in with the water they soak before being cooked. The soaking water is not consumable, you should throw it away.
Aquafaba is a great egg replacement
Aquafaba’s most magical quality is its ability to whip to a stiff, fluffy foam exactly like egg whites. This is why aquafaba is the best egg replacement whenever a recipe calls for beaten egg whites.
How to make homemade aquafaba ?
- 200 grams dried chickpeas
- 2 liters water
- Soak dried chickpeas in one liter (4 cups) of water for about 10 hours (you can leave them to soak overnight).
- Discard soaking water and rinse the chickpeas.
- Place chickpeas into a saucepan and cover with 1 liter (4 cups) of water.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and bring to the boil. Then decrease the heat to low-medium and simmer for 60 to 90 minutes (until chickpeas are tender).
- Once the chickpeas are cooked, turn the heat off and leave them to cool down completely in their cooking water.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chickpeas from the cooking water. And there you are : this chickpea cooking water is your aquafaba! You should get about ½ liter (2 cups) of aquafaba.
Nutrition facts per serving
How to store aquafaba ?
You can store aquafaba in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can you freeze aquafaba ?
Yes! It freezes extremely well. Put the aquafaba in a freezer proof container and pop it in the freezer to use it later.
Thaw it completely before using it in a recipe.
How long does aquafaba last ?
Aquafaba can last 3 to 4 days stored in the fridge. Or a few weeks in the freezer.
How to whip aquafaba?
Like egg whites, aquafaba is most easily whipped with an electric hand or stand mixer, but this process can be done by hand with a wire whisk as well.
To whip aquafaba, start with a clean, grease-free bowl and whisk attachment and begin to process the aquafaba. Large, foamy bubbles will begin to appear. Soon the aquafaba will transform to loose foam. You’ll stop your mixer when the foam has reached a firm and robust state. When you turn your bowl upside down the foam should stick to the bowl.
What to make with aquafaba
There are many ways to use aquafaba. You can use in a cake, or to make vegan meringues or vegan chocolate mousse.