What is a spaghetti squash?
As you can see on the picture below it is a long and large shaped yellow squash, that usually weighs between 2 to 4 pounds. You can find it throughout autumn and winter seasons.
How to cook a spaghetti squash in the oven?
I’m not saying it is the only cooking method, it’s just my favorite one. This method is, in my opinion, the easiest one and requires almost no prep time.
- Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C)
- Rince out the spaghetti squash under cold water
- Cut off the top end (see first picture below)
- Using a very sharp knife cut the squash in two halves.
- Using a spoon (as you can see on the third picture), remove the seeds.
- Place the squash halves cut side down (as seen on the fourth picture) on a baking tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until squash is tender. To check if the squash is cooked, prick a knife into it through the skin : it should be soft.
How to eat spaghetti squash?
Once the spaghetti squash is cooked, using a fork, scrape the flesh, to reveal the spaghetti texture. You can eat the spaghetti squash with a dash of extra virgin olive oil and a little bit of salt as a side dish.
Or you can check out my spaghetti squash boat recipe.