With this guide to spaghetti squash for beginners, you will learn everything there is to know about it.
What is a spaghetti squash?
Spaghetti squash is one of the varieties of winter squash. It is delicious, healthy, and easy to make!
As you can see on the picture below it is a long and large shaped yellow squash, that usually weighs between 2 to 4 pounds. Moreover, you can find it throughout autumn and winter seasons.
What does spaghetti squash taste like?
The inside is made of tiny strands of squash that look like spaghetti. Well it looks like it but, don't get me wrong, it doesn't taste like it. It has a very mild flavor and it is quite watery, kind of like zucchini.
How to cook a spaghetti squash in the oven?
Roasting spaghetti squash is my favorite cooking method. This method is, in my opinion, the easiest one and it requires almost no prep time. The benefit of cooking your spaghetti squash in the oven is that it gives an incredibly delicious tasting with a slight caramel flavor. But the con is that it takes a long time to cook. Well, I don't really care about that, as I can do something else in the meantime. 😉
- Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C)
- Rince out the spaghetti squash under cold water
- Cut off the top end (see first picture below)
- Using a very sharp knife cut the squash in two halves. Well, this is the hardest part. The skin is extrmely hard when the squash is uncooked. So choose your best knife and use a large cutting board.
- Using a spoon (as you can see on the third picture), remove the seeds.
- Place the squash halves cut side down (as seen on the fourth picture) on a baking tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until squash is tender. To check if the squash is cooked, prick a knife into it through the skin : it should be soft.
How to eat it?
Once the spaghetti squash is cooked, using a fork, scrape the flesh, to reveal the spaghetti texture.
Or you can check out my spaghetti squash boat recipe: it's delicious and tastes like indulging food when it's, in fact, very healthy.