This delicious gluten free olive fougasse bread is super easy and quick to make. It can either be cut into little pieces and served with toothpicks as an appetizer at a party or served with some lettuce or soup for a simple meal.
This recipe has a taste of summer in the Southern France region called Provence with its signature herbs.
What is fougasse bread?
Fougasse bread is the French equivalent of the Italian focaccia. Fougasse bread is the Provencal version of focaccia. Well, Italy and the French region called Provence are pretty close. That's why there are some similarities between the two cuisines.
Ingredients for this olive fougasse bread
- almond flour
- gluten free flour: I usually use whole rice flour as I enjoy its neutral flavor. But you can use another gluten free or even a mix of flours.
- dairy or non dairy plain yogurt : I have made this recipe multiple times, with any kind of dairy or non dairy yogurt (well except cow dairy yogurt as I'm intolerant). They all work out really great.
- extra virgin olive oil
- olives, seeds removed : well once, I made a mistake and used olives that still had their seeds. Technically it works, it's just less convenient to eat in a fougasse bread. One more thing: you can either use black or green olives, it's up to you.
- herbs of Provence : it is a mix of dried herbs (rosemary, savory, oregano and thyme). You can use whichever of those herbs you have on hand if you don't have herbs of Provence in your pantry.
- apple cider vinegar
- baking soda
How to make this olive fougasse bread
- In a large bowl, put the yogurt, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and Provence herbs.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- Mix with a spoon until all ingredients are well combined.
- Grease a 7 inches / 18 cm diameter tin with olive oil and transfer the batter to the tin.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until it reaches a golden color. And voilà! You can serve it warm or cold. Bon appétit !