This vegan and gluten free banana bread with shredded coconut recipe is simple and easy to make. And it is delicious!
About the flours used in this recipe
You will find here 3 different versions of my banana bread : one is simply vegan and gluten free the second one is paleo compliant and the third one is AIP compliant. Each version uses a different type of flour as follows if you are on :
- a gluten free diet : use a mix of whole rice flour and buckwheat flour
- Paleo diet : you can either use chestnut flour or tigernut flour
- Auto-immune Protocol (AIP) : you have to use tigernut flour and arrowroot. No other options for you if you want to stay elimination phase compliant.
As some of you already know, I'm not exactly Paleo, nor AIP, but my diet is something in between according to my own intolerances. So I'm lucky enough to be able to eat any of those 3 versions.
Those 3 options taste very differently thanks to the flours used in them. My personal favorite is the one using chestnut flour. But rice and buckwheat flours are way cheaper than chestnut and tigernut flour. And I'm trying as much as I can to stay on a budget which is a real challenge on this diet.
About chestnut flour
Chestnuts are nuts. So they are naturally gluten free and paleo compliant. Unfortunately, they are not AIP compliant.
On the picture uploaded here, is the chestnut flour version. The reason why it looks very brown is not because my banana bread was overcooked but it is due to the chestnut flour. This flour gives a brown color to cakes.
I've just discovered that while chestnut flour is very common in France, it is not well known in certain countries. So I'm just going to tell you some interesting facts about this gluten free flour, just in case you've never tried it before.
Chestnut flour has a sweet taste, perfect to make desserts but also to make bread. It is probably one of the best gluten free flours as it is full of nutrients, fibers, protein and essential amino acids.
That's the reason why, it was used a lot in France during the Second World War while stores were out of stock of pretty much everything. If you can find some, you should really give it a try!
Can I freeze this banana bread?
Yes, it freezes very well. Once this banana bread is cooked, allow it to cool completely at room temperature on a plate or wire rack. Once cool, you can freeze it. My favorite way of freezing it is by slicing it and transfering the banana bread slices to a freezer bag before storing it in the freezer. This way, I can easily take one slice out of the freezer, pop it in the toaster and here I have a delicious treat ready in a couple of minutes! If you don't have a toaster just allow the banana bread to come to room temperature on the counter. You can also freeze this banana bread whole, without slicing it.
Other banana recipes you might also like
If you are looking for other recipes using overripe bananas you can check the following recipes :
- Banana blueberry muffins (Coconut free, AIP, paleo)
- Coconut free Banana bread (AIP, paleo, vegan) (perfect if you can't or won't have coconut)
- Banana foster (AIP, paleo, vegan) (also called flambéed banana) a super easy and inexpensive flourless recipe that is a staple here in France
Vegan gluten free banana bread (AIP, paleo)
For simply gluten free diet
- 100 g whole rice flour
- 50 g buckwheat flour
For Paleo diet
- 150 g chestnut flour
- Preheat oven to 360° F (180° C)
- Peel the bananas, put them in a large bowl and mash them with a fork. Add the coconut oil and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (flour, shredded coconut, sugar and baking powder). Then, transfer the dry ingredients in the banana and coconut oil mix. Using a spoon, mix everything until well combined.
- Grease a rectangular 4 x 8 inches (10 x 20 cm) baking tin with a little bit of coconut oil and transfer the batter into the tin.
- Bake for about 35 minutes. To make sure that it is cooked, insert a thin bladed knife into the centre of the banana bread, the knife should come out clean. And voilà!Bon appétit !