Looking for a warm and comforting dessert? Try this flambeed bananas recipe. Bananas are slowly cooked in a pan until you get a delicious caramel sauce with an optional flambe process at the end.
Jump To / Aller directement à
This recipe is a classic French dessert (from the French Antilles). If you like French cuisine you should try French buckwheat crepes or Chicken rillettes or Boeuf a la mode. These are all traditional French dishes.
⭐ Why you'll love this recipe
- A warm comforting dessert.
- Only 4 ingredients.
- A delicious way to use up overripe bananas that doesn't require baking.
Well, I love having a flambeed banana for dessert so much that sometimes I just let some bananas get overripe on purpose! 😃
📖 Ingredient notes
- Banana. For this recipe you will need an overripe banana. The darker the banana the better.
- Oil of your choice. I often use coconut oil but avocado oil would also be a good choice. If you are not dairy free, you can use butter or ghee instead of oil.
- Coconut sugar or maple syrup. Why do we add sugar to a banana that already contains natural sugar? Because it will make a delicious caramel.
- Optional ingredient. Brown rum or grand marnier
For the ingredient quantities for these flambeed bananas, please see the recipe card below.
🧾 What is flambeed banana?
Flambeed banana (in French: banane flambée) means that you add alcohol in the pan once the banana is cooked and you burn the alcohol.
🎥 How to flambe video
Turn off the heat under the pan. Add the rum to the pan and quickly light up the sauce with a match. Remove your hand quickly as the alcohol will fire up quickly. Let the alcohol burn itself, the fire will put itself out in a few seconds (watch the video to see the process).
Be careful with the flambe process. Be very cautious. Fire is dangerous. Don’t let a kid do this.
Once the flambe process is done, you can transfer the bananas along with the caramel sauce that has formed in the pan during the cooking process.
Wait for the bananas to cool down a little before eating them as they are extremely hot. But do eat them warm.
👩🏻🍳 Top tip
This flambeed banana recipe is best freshly made. I don't recommend making it ahead of time. Wait a few minutes for the banana to cool down a little bit (you don't want to burn your tongue) and serve warm.
💭 Recipe FAQ
Yes! You can absolutely make this recipe without any alcohol, it will still be delicious! Of course you won't get the flambe process without alcohol but it will be kid friendly, and less scary.
When we were kids, my mother would throw 4 overripe bananas in a pan, cook them as described below, then remove those for my brother and I and then she would flambe the other 2. Now that I’m an adult I like it either with or without alcohol.
🍪 Other overripe banana recipes
If you are looking for more recipes using overripe bananas you can check the following recipes:
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 on the recipe card and leave a nice review below! Tag @gohealthywithbea on Instagram and hashtag #gohealthywithbea! Also, let's stay connected on social media and continue to cook together! You can find me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
📋 Recipe / Recette
- 1 overripe banana
- 1 teaspoon oil of your choice (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon brown rum or grand marnier
- Heat the oil in a medium sized frying pan on medium high heat.
- Peel your banana and add it to your pan. Turn down the heat to low and cover your pan. Let the banana cook for about 10 minutes, turn it on the other side then add the sugar (or maple syrup). Let it cook for another 10 minutes or so or until the banana gets a nice golden color.
- Optional: If you want you can now add the rum and you either let it cook for a 2-3 more minutes or you make it flambe.
- How to flambe your banana: turn off the heat under the pan. Add the rum to the pan and quickly light up the sauce with a match. Remove your hand quickly as the alcohol will fire up quickly. Let the alcohol burn itself, the fire will put itself out in a few seconds (watch the video to see the process).
- Then transfer the banana and the sauce to a plate. Serve warm. Voilà!Bon appétit !
Thank you for another great recipe.