What symptoms might I be suffering from if I have a food intolerance?
You will find here a (non exhaustive) list of symptoms that may be caused by a food intolerance. If you have any of the symptoms listed below and are suspecting a food intolerance, you should see a functional medicine doctor.
Please note that symptoms of a food allergy are quite different from those of a food intolerance. So if you don't know that yet, you should first learn about the difference between food allergy and food intolerance.
IgG mediated food intolerance leads to underlying inflammation in the body. This can manifest in a range of symptoms :
- gastrointestinal complaints (bloating, constipation, diarrhea, stomach cramps), Functional Colopathy and Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- headaches and migraines
- Ear Nose and Throat disorders
- pathologies related to joint, tendon and muscle,
- skin conditions like hives, eczema, and psoriasis,
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- some neuropsychiatric disorders such as depression, bulimia, autism, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders, difficulty concentrating, anxiety,
- Autoimmune diseases (ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, Hashimoto’s disease etc.)
- Chronic weight problems
Thanks to the elimination of my food intolerances from my diet I have:
- lost 33 pounds of overweight (due to the link between gut health and weight loss)
- stopped having mood changes due to hypoglycemia
- cured my keratosis pylaris (ugly red spots on my arms)
- gained a lot of energy
- last but not least, gone off all medication for my auto immune disease (ankylosing spondylitis).
Do not hesitate to read more about how I've been healing naturally my autoimmune disease.
If you are curious to know more about what you can possibly be intolerant to, read my article What food can we be intolerant to?
- Food allergy, intolerance, or sensitivity: What’s the difference, and why does it matter?
- TPV Podcast, Episode 289: Food Allergy, Sensitivity, and Intolerance: What’s the Difference?
- TPV Podcast, Episode 295: Can Food Intolerances Be Fixed?
- Do An Elimination Diet to Uncover Food Allergies or Sensitivities